Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Day 3846 - "Sticky Fingers" By The Rolling Stones 11.30.21

Today on the 1001 Albums list we listened to "Sticky Fingers."  My thoughts on the album were:

The packaging of this album is of course iconic with the Andy Warhol design and the working zipper. And of course that packaging with the title "Sticky Fingers" the bad boys of rock and roll don't disappoint with their lascivious innuendo. But the greatness doesn't stop with the packaging. The album is literally packed with awesome tracks. "Brown Sugar", "Sway", "Wild Horses", "Bitch" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" I feel like are all staples of classic rock programming. At least when I was growing up they were all songs I would have heard on the radio. I have no idea about today because I rarely listen to the radio and classic AOR programming even less. But the deeper cuts are in my opinion all just as great. "You Gotta Move" is an old blues song and the Stones give it a great treatment. "I Got The Blues" is also a perfect track. Mick is totally on point and the band is great, but to me the additional horn section is also fantastic. Great bluesy soulful number. "Sister Morphine" is another great deep cut. Songs about drugs at this period coming out of the sixties I find really interesting because they are often dealing with the darker aspects of addiction and the havoc drugs wreak. The band again is on point. "Dead Flowers" is another favorite of mine with its country rock feel. Mick Taylor's guitar work is great. I feel like this song has sort of become a classic as well. I don't know if it gets airplay, but It shows up in movies and such. I think this one lies somewhere between classic well known and deeper cut. "Moonlight Mile" feels a little like an outlier on the album. It seems a little more layered and produced, but I don't think that is a bad thing. I quite like the instrumentation. The songs seems big and epic. At times it feels like Van Morrison to me. It is a nice way to close the album. I've listened to this one 4 or 5 times in recent weeks and it never gets old. I didn't even really touch on the classic tracks "Brown Sugar", "Sway", "Wild Horses", "Bitch" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking".

This is something I saw today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment