Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Day 3840 - Shaft - 11.24.21

Today we listened to the soundtrack to "Shaft" by Isaac Hayes for the 1001 albums challenge.  This is one of the all time great soundtrack albums.  This is what I wrote for my friends.

This soundtrack is classic. Of course it has the hit title theme, but "Soulsville" is on par with that track in my book. In fact I could probably listen to "Soulsville" more than the "Theme To Shaft" because I feel like at some point that track was overplay. Maybe it was just overplayed by me, but still. I love me some "Soulsville." The rest of the soundtrack is Hot Buttered Soul put to celluloid. This is a great album to throw on to set the mood. "Ellie's Love Theme" is particularly nice to set a romantic mood with your significant other. Put the lights down low and enjoy. Now this is going to maybe be a little controversial, but as much as I enjoy this album and I guess I understand why it is on the list because it sold so many copies and was a bit of a crossover hit, but in terms of amazing soundtrack albums there are a lot of albums higher on my list than this. I mean for just straight up soundtrack scores from this time period I would point to a bunch or the work by Ennio Morricone or Jerry Goldsmith. And if we were trying to keep it in the same sort of jazzy, soulful sound for a blaxploitation film, then I may even put Marvin Gaye's soundtrack to "Trouble Man" over this one. Curtis Mayfield's soundtrack to "Superfly" may beat this one out. Another artist to call out from around this time was James Brown. I'd have to re-listen to some of the soundtracks he did, but my memory is that his soundtrack to "Black Caesar" is also pretty good. I don't mean this to say this album isn't great, but more to point to some others that are being overlooked by this list and to say I like those maybe even a little more.

This is something I saw today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment