Friday, December 13, 2013

Day 937 - Pipeline Membership ID Card - 12.13.13

It was another day home sick.  Today I came across my old Pipeline membership card, which was on the stand next to my bed.  I found this this past summer in a box.  I had been searching for it for a few years actually, so I was pretty excited when I found it.  I brought it into the house and it has been next to my bed ever since.  I knew that at some point I would photograph it. 

For those who don't know Pipeline was one of the last skate parks from the 70's explosion to operate into the 80's.  During the summer of 1987 the family vacationed in California and I made the pilgrimage to Upland, California so I could skate Pipeline.  I was 16 years old and had just gotten a driver license.  I can't believe I was driving these Southern California highways at such a young age.  I remember when driving there with my cousins it was shortly after a rash of highway shootings in LA.  They kept joking that we had to watch out for guns.  I only went to the park once.  I believe it closed the following year and was demolished.  I'm glad I still have this memento of the park.  It was something I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment