Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 49 - Palatine Skate Park - 07.09.11

Today I went to Palatine, IL, which is where I grew up. We met up with my brother and mother as well as in-laws and nephews. I took my kids to visit the house I grew up in as well as some old skate spots, places I worked and schools. The reason I selected this photo as being special is because when I was growing up, there was no skate park in Palatine. In fact at one point the city council tried to pass an ordinance making skateboarding illegal. In high school we skated on back yard ramps, on whatever cement surface we could find and if we wanted to go to a skate park we'd drive an hour to Rockford to Rotation Station. Now days Palatine has a open free skate park. These boys have no idea how lucky they are to be able to enjoy such nice facilities without harassment from the local police. It made me feel good seeing them enjoying the ramps. It was something I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment