Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 1525 - Hollywood From Vietnam To Reagan - 07.26.15

This is a book I got back in college.  Classic sort of film school book.  Very academic look at the change of film from the 70's to the 80's.  There is some great reading about the change in horror films.  There is a great chapter that talks about Blade Runner as well.  The book is pretty interesting, but it also makes me laugh because the basic gist of the book is that 70's films were great and 80's films sold out and aren't.  So the author basically dismisses films like Star Wars or E.T. and pretty much all the movies I loved as a kid.  It is definitely a case generational taste and a case of someone with an agenda reading into a film stuff that may or not be there and misses the fact that the movie is just plain fun.  Reminds me a bit of the documentary Room 237 about the people who over analyze The Shining to support their crazy conspiracy theories.  I may not agree with a lot of it, but it is still a good read.  While digitizing some records the other morning I pulled this off the shelf and read the chapter on horror films.  So this is something I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment