Monday, August 8, 2022

Day 4097 - Wire "Pink Flag" LP - 08.08.22

"Pink Flag" by Wire was on the 1001 albums list for today.  I wrote the following to my friends at work.

Wire is a band I had known the name of for many years, but I never really listened to them until a few years ago. I listened to this album and had the reaction of how have I not been listening to them all these years. I think in my mind I thought they were more on the electronic side of things, possibly because of the name wire. I think that just made me think synths. So I was so surprised to find that they were way more punk and post punk and in some respects pointing the way toward the hard core punk of the late 70s and early 80s. Needless to say after listening to this record I put it on a short list of albums I was hunting for when I went into record stores. After a few years of not finding old copies, a bunch of Wire albums were rereleased on Vinyl and so I just bought a brand new copy. If you listened to this album in the background while working and didn't recognize any of the songs and maybe it didn't connect with you, I recommend listening again and turning up the volume. This is an album that benefits from being played loud. This is an album that should be listened to like your 16 and full of angst and you crank of the volume in your room on on your headphones. I think your experience may change. Will this become a classic like the first Clash album? I won't go that far, because it doesn't have the catchy songs, but I think you may want to listen to it from time to time with the volume up.

This is something I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment