Thursday, April 6, 2017

Day 2146 - "What's So Bad About Feeling Good" and "Never A Dull Moment" - 04.06.17

Tonight I saw a couple forgotten comedies at the New Beverly.  The first film was "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" which starred Mary Tyler Moore.  This film was a revelation in my opinion.  It was an hysterical satire that seemed way ahead of its time.  It was a bomb when it was released, but its social commentary was so biting and relevant not only to then, but to now.  I think that it's skewering of both the establishment and the 60's counterculture was perhaps too much for audiences at the time.  In fact I read a review from the time and it's biggest complaint was that the review felt that the film didn't get hippies and the counter culture.  The funny thing is that the film was released in 1967, the year of the summer of love.  At the time everything seemed great and it was not a popular thought to be look critically at the weaknesses of the movement, but the thing is this film was 100% on point.  Looking through our lens from the future it is amazing how on point it was.  Sadly this film has not been release on home video and so I can't share it with friends and family.  If you ever have an opportunity to see it, do see it.  "Never A Dull Moment" was a Walt Disney Dick Van Dyke flick.  It was okay and had it's moments, but was not nearly as great as the first film.  The evening was also great because some folks from work joined me and one last get together before leaving this week.  This will also probably be the last time I go to the New Beverly for a while as I start my new job in Manhattan Beach next week.  This is something I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment